What is Microsoft Power BI?
If you don’t know, BI stands for Business Intelligence. And Power BI from Microsoft is a desktop and cloud-based analytics tool that allows anyone to visualize and analyze data with greater speed, efficiency, and understanding. It connects you to a broad range of data through easy-to-use dashboards, interactive reports and compelling visualizations that bring data to life.
The world of data is changing.
There’s a 10-fold increase in data every five years, and 85% are from new data types (like Big Data). And with the consumerization of IT, we’re all swimming in oceans of data.
“By 2018, organizations that build a modern information management system will outperform their peers financially by 25 percent.”
Gartner, Mark Beyer, “Information Management in the 21st Century”
How Will Power BI Help My Business?
Data visualization is common in the business world today and quickly becoming almost obligatory. Analyzing data can be a daunting task. Power BI will help you easily analyze and visualize your data with interactive and business-intelligence capabilities to help you create reports and dashboards without the need to hire a technology staff or database administrators.
With Power BI, you can delve deep into your business’ critical data. It has built-in business intelligence tools to help you find the answers that you couldn’t find before.
You’ll have the ability to compile critical pieces of information into professional, visual formats that are easy to comprehend. This way, you and your team can make the best possible decisions, and achieve your mission more easily, efficiently, and in a smarter way.
Power BI for Data Visualization
With Power BI, you can create great charts and graphs that can help you:
- Quickly evaluate the efficacy of your work, and identify both areas of success and those that need growth or improvement, and do this in a single glance.
- Be more strategic by targeting your efforts towards times/places/populations and areas that will have the greatest positive impact on your business.
- Show people your work, and tell stories more effectively to whoever needs to hear them. The old saying, “A picture speaks a thousand words,” is very true when it comes to data visualization.
Data visualization makes information more accessible. Collecting data is great, but it’s really just a bunch of numbers unless you use it meaningfully. Power BI helps you do this. Even beginners can learn to use it easily.
Power BI is available as:
- Power BI Desktop (free)
- Power BI Online
The Power BI Desktop Version: Although it’s free, it’s an extremely powerful desktop tool. It can help you connect with hundreds of data sources, clean and prepare data using visualization tools, analyze and prepare stunning reports, and embed these reports into public websites. (This version doesn’t allow for full automation. Power BI Online does.)
Power BI Online lets you build dashboards to get a 360-degree view of your business. It helps you keep data up to date automatically, which includes on-premise data sources. So, regardless of whether you store your data in the cloud, on-premise or both, you can synchronize it to the Power BI online service and visualize it. Plus, you can collaborate on shared data with multiple, authorized users, simultaneously. You can audit and govern how data is accessed is used, and package content to distribute to users.
Power BI is good for anyone in your business who needs answers from data, not just data analysis. It’s not just a tool for experts, it’s a tool for anyone.
Analyzing data is easy with Power BI. You complete 4 simple steps:
- Discover your data and shape it into a useful form.
- Analyze it.
- Visualize it and produce your report.
- Explore and ask questions of the data.
Collaborate easily in Power BI with Office 365 (1 in 4 businesses use Office 365). It provides for:
- Q & A (using natural-language questions)
In a matter of minutes, you can create professional reports with simple drag-and-drop features.
Power BI is several things in one package. It’s an immensely powerful tool with:
- A Data Aggregator to pull your data together from multiple sources, and blend it together in ways that help you extract meaning.
- A Data Modeling Engine that allows you to establish relationships among different pieces of data that can be used for advanced filtering, and to see how different subsets of data relate.
- A Data Reshaping Tool to format data and refine it so it’s much easier to use. This tool continues to take data in old formats and shape it into the new, easier-to-understand form that you’ve created.
- A Data Visualization Toolkit with a ton of different options to select from.
- An Interactive Dashboard Platform so you can display data and link graphs and charts to show subsets of data in an interactive way.
Power BI also provides real-time updates. It automatically refreshes so you can continue to gain a better understanding of your business needs.
Intivix can help your business realize the power of Microsoft Power BI. For a free demonstration, or consultation, contact us at: (415)-549-9681 or [email protected]